Friday, September 12, 2014

Val's Friday Favorites {09-12-14}

1.
I LOVE Scholastic Book Orders!!  As a teacher, I loved buying up books for my classroom and for my nieces and nephews on their birthdays.  Now that I am a mommy, I get just as excited as my kids when their teacher sends home a book order!!  Seriously!  It's like Christmas every month.  We peruse the books and I usually let the kids pick out two books every other month or one book every month.  Not all teachers do book orders, however, if your child's teacher doesn't do them and you would like to order books, you can ask the school principal or teacher if there is someone else in the school that does the order and you can add your books to their list.  Believe me when I say that you will not find books cheaper than through the book order!  You can find books for a dollar and usually they are around 3-5 dollars.  Look for sets of books where you can get well read author's books for about 2 dollars a piece.  Nowadays you can order your books online and they will be sent to your teacher using a teacher code.  So easy!  Just do it!  Reading is so important and if the kids get to pick out their own books...well then.  

P.S.  Think about Christmas gifts.  Just make sure to tell the teacher that it's a gift, so they don't just hand it over to your student.  :)
 
2.
What's more compact than a file folder?  I used file folder games in my classroom for children that completed work quickly, needed a refresher on a concept, or for rainy day recess(indoors).  The kids always LOVED them and happily went about learning without even realizing that's what they were doing.  I have used these games with my kids at home as well.  This website also has file folder games for church.  SCORE!
Other links to file folder games, here, here, here, and here.

3.
I just got finished canning?  jarring? my tomatoes for the year.  I used all of my fresh tomatoes from the garden and turned them into cans of diced tomatoes to use in my recipes throughout the winter months.  It is a long process and messy too, however, once it's done for the year I am so grateful that I have done this for myself.  I love the pint jars for preserving tomatoes, salsa, and jellies.  They are the perfect size and I always have lots of them on hand.  Plus, a bonus...these are so HOT for decorating right now.  I have used these pint jars to hold silverware, flowers, and candy at parties!

4.
Shannon over at Technology Rocks. Seriously. has some way cute posters for your classroom or your child's playroom.  I especially LOVED this one!  I love the colors and the message.  The amazing thing about kids, to me, is their ability to change their attitude completely.  As an adult, even when I know I should change my attitude I am at times reluctant to do so.  Kids are told to change their attitude and they usually will change it within a few minutes.  Some kids are more stubborn, however, most children are more interested in making things better for themselves and if they change their attitude they know they will be happier.

5.
When I first read this post, I kept nodding my head and smiling to myself.  'At the risk of sounding like THAT mom.'  haha  It made me realize that all parents must feel like this to a point.  Now, being a former teacher I instantly feel a connection with my children's teachers...though they don't know I used to teach.  All they know is that I'm 'that' mom.  That crazy mom that is super involved.  Gifts santizing wipes to the class each month, and goes overboard with homework.  Eventually, sometime in the year, one of the teachers will say something about knowing what they need or ask how I know all the kid's names in their class even though I only volunteer once a month.  That's when I give them the, well, I used to be a teacher.  Then I give the nervous giggle.  Most teachers really don't care if I used to be a teacher.  It's weird information.  They then wonder why, if I LOVE teaching so much, I'm at home now.  My answer is that I'm being 'that' mom.  The one that will do anything for their kids.  Even if that means looking crazy in front of other grown-ups.

I especially loved what she actually ended up telling her child's teacher.  It's at the end of the post and it's exactly what I need to start saying to my child's teachers as well.  :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...