Friday, September 26, 2014

Val's Friday Favorites {09-26-14}

1.
My husband and I read this book 8 years ago, shortly after getting married, and we put it to work in our life.  Along with this book, we modeled our finances using the tips and resources made available between the two books.  It is more than just a way to use your money, it is a way of living.  Every month when we sit down and do our budget we use these skills we learned in this book.  I highly recommend it to young married couples just getting started.  It will put you on a path of security and happiness.

This wasn't always a *favorite* of mine.  The word budget can illicit panic and fear in most people.  I should know.  I am one of those people.  Just keep in mind that a budget is not cutting back(though that can happen in a budget), it is more a look at where your money is going.  Writing it all out and seeing how much you spend can really make you rethink getting your daily fix of soda, coffee, candy, or whatever your vice is.  The reason this lands in my favorites now is the fact that, by following the baby steps and saving money, I am able to stay home with my kids.  We are living on a single income.  We don't live a lavish lifestyle and some days we wonder if our car will make it to tomorrow, however, I get to stay home with my babies.  This was so important to me that I was willing to change my views on budgets, saving money, and living cheap(as they say)!

2.

 Because She Is a Mother, is an older conference talk, however, it is useful still to all of the mothers out there.  We are all giving what we can.  We are doing what we are able.  We are being mothers to our children.  This is so important.  Even though this has specific language and verbiage related to the LDS faith, it is useful for all mothers to realize that we are all trying.  As long as we keep trying, we cannot be a failure to our children.  We only become a failure when we quit trying to help our children see better, be better, and do better.

3.
This necklace is so cute!  I want one ASAP!!  I think I'll ask my husband to get it for me for Christmas.  Check out MonyArt for even more cute jewelry!

 4.
Mommy calling cards have been around for a few years now.  I originally had some printed up for free(since I found a promo) when my oldest was a few months old.  I thought, how fun.  If I go to the park, out to lunch, or to a playdate, I can just hand over this card to the other moms and bingo, I'd have a new friend for me and my child. Well, it didn't work exactly like that.  I'm sort of a lone wolf.  I don't leave the house much and when I do, I keep to myself.  It's still nice to have some.  You can give them to your child's teacher, your babysitter, and that one child in your little one's class who keeps asking for their phone number and if they can sleep over, though you've never met them or their parents before this very second.  :)  These cards are so cute!  You can get the design here, and print them here.  Or design your own.

5.
With LDS General Conference approaching soon, I thought we could all use a little inspiration to keep our kids interested and listening while we learn from our prophet and apostles.  Here are some fun ideas to get you started.

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...