Friday, February 26, 2016

Val's Friday Favorites {02-26-16}

1.


I've been serving in my LDS ward as a Primary teacher for the last year and a half and I have LOVED having this notebook for my little kiddos!  It doesn't hurt that I come from a teaching background, so of course I love the educational worksheet approach vs. a coloring page.  Now, don't get me wrong, I love coloring, and I used that a lot before I found this.  It does include some coloring, writing, pasting, and it is an overview of the lesson, which I like.  Then each week, we collect it in their notebooks and they don't take home something every week.  At the end of the Primary year they will have this notebook to remind them of all the things they were taught and they can use it to share lessons with their family for Family Home Evening!  I have used it with 4, 5, and 6 year olds.  She sells the notebook for a very reasonable price and has one for the Primary 2 and Primary 3 manual.  I have both and LOVE both!


2.
This Cookbook.


I'm sure I'm not the only one that has a slight obsession with all things Pioneer Woman.  :)  I remember when my oldest was just a baby and I would nurse while browsing PW's website to look at recipes, pictures, and of course her stories.  I have tried a few recipes from the book, but mostly just like to look at all the pictures and imagine my cooking to turn out just like the pictures, even though it doesn't always.  HA!  The best thing about the cookbook is that if you don't have the money to buy it right now, you can search for recipes on her website.  She also has a fun cooking show on the Food Network that I watch with my kids and they love it just as much as I do!


3.
This Show.


I've been binge-watching a lot of Netflix lately, due to multiple illnesses that have plagued me for almost 8 weeks now.  :( After I had watched a lot of the new shows, I started New Girl over again from the beginning and I loved it just as much as the first time!  It's funny and light and kept me in a good mood while being sick.  It's not a show to watch with your kids and some people may not appreciate the general nature of the show, however, it is one of my guilty pleasures.  I can quote many scenes from this show and it makes me smile.

4.
This Book, and This One Also.


Again, because I've been sick, I've managed to read 2 books in the last month!  Shocker!   The first book I read was The Pact and the second was Dear John.  They were very different and both have either a lifetime movie or a feature film based on them.  The Pact is about a girl who suffers from a childhood trauma and as a teen decides to take her own life.  Her boyfriend doesn't want her to do it and he thinks he can stop her, by telling her he will kill himself also.  It's full of life's mysteries and what happens to the people you leave behind.  I really like Jodi Picoult and enjoyed this page turner.  If you like that one, you might also try, Plain Truth.

Dear John was about a young man that joined the army to grow up, and while on leave, he falls in love with a beautiful girl on the beach.  They fall instantly and hard in their love for one another, however, he is still in the army and the book unravels the reality of what that means for their relationship.  If you like that one, you might also try, A Walk to Remember.


5.
This Game.




I bought this game to practice alphabet recognition with my preschooler and he likes it so much he doesn't even notice that we are learning and reviewing.  It's very easy to play and all of my kids enjoy it, even my daughter who already knows her alphabet.  They also have Spot it! Numbers and Shapes, Spot it Jr.! Animals, Spot it! Sports, Spot it! Halloween, Spot it! Basic English, Spot it! Basic Spanish, and so many many more, including Spot it! Shopkins! (I know a little girl that would be over the moon for that one!)

{Valerie}


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...