Monday, February 29, 2016

Leap Day!

It's a day that comes once every four years...is that not enough reason to celebrate?!  Here are some ways to have a little fun on this unique day!

Play Leap Frog
{or have your kids play}


Make Leaping Paper Frogs
{and then play some games}
I followed along with the tutorial above {I had to pause a couple times because I'm slow} and when I was done I actually exclaimed, "I did it!" So it really can be done!
I know my 4th graders would have LOVED to make these in class and they also would have loved a little competition.  Here are some game ideas to use your new leaping frogs.
Whose Frog Can Leap the Farthest?
Whose Frog Can Do the Most Back Flips in a Row?
Race of the Leaping Frogs!
Whose Frog Can Do the Coolest Trick?
I have no doubt that kids would LOVE to come up with many other games.  I think Mr. Hardman and I will play a couple of these tonight and then let {E} destroy our frogs...I mean play with them.

Make a Leap Day Time Capsule
{DO NOT OPEN UNTIL FEB. 29 2020!}
Either decorate an old shoebox or tissue box or just use a large or small envelope to store fun information and/or artifacts until the next leap day!  Here are some ideas for your kiddos to do:
Trace Your Hand
Write a Letter to Yourself
Draw or Take a Picture of Yourself
Write Down Goals You Want to Accomplish Before the Next Leap Day
Write About Your Interests
Predict Where You'll Be Four Years from Today

Cake Leap
If you have multiple children {or are celebrating in a classroom} this would be lots of fun!  You could use lily pads as the markers and ask the children to leap from each one while the music played.  When the music stops and a lily pad number is called you have a winner!  Green cupcakes or any treat would be lots of fun {and yummy}.
You can have your kids make the lily pads or download and print some {that I quickly made} here!

366 Activities
You could count to 366 as quickly as you can! {could also be a race}
Work together to draw 366 frogs.
Leap around the yard 366 times.
Write a special leap day story using 366 words.
Make chocolate chip cookies with 366 chocolate chips.

I'm Leaping for Joy because...
Around the dinner table tonight, have each family member finish the sentence, "I'm leaping for joy because..." You may be leaping for joy because you get a whole extra day this year or because you got to take a shower today or because you are surrounded by loved ones.

We hope you enjoy your Leap Day!

And for all my fellow 30 Rock Fans!!
{Natalie}

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...