Friday, August 15, 2014

Val's Friday Favorites {08-15-14}

1.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."  So powerful.  There are many times that I turn down 'giving' something to someone because I am afraid they are trying to con me or taking advantage of me.  I need to remember this message and give without thinking about why they want it, or what they will do with it.

2.
Toni over at Bowl Full of Lemons has created an 8 week plan to becoming prepared for an emergency.  I am starting mine this week.  Last week our city water became contaminated and was testing positive for E. Coli.  I was lucky we had a few extra cases of water in the basement for the summertime.  The last thing I wanted was to become sick or to have my babies be sick.  She also is selling an E-book with everything you need to get started with your own Emergency Survival Station.  Plus, September is National Emergency Preparedness month.  The time of year I always reassess what we have, and what we need to be self sustaining during an emergency.

3.
I found this recipe a while ago and it has become a regular star at our dinner table.  Sure to please even toddlers...shocking!  I love how simple and quick it is.  Pair it with crusty bread and an easy salad and dinner is ready in under 30 minutes.  Even my picky husband will eat this as leftovers!

4.
The Night Before Preschool, Kindergarten, and 1st Grade Books
 Each of these books are patterned after The Night Before Christmas.  I love them because the rhythm of the story is addicting and you may even find yourself talking in the same rhythm long after you have finished the book.  These books are great for preparing your young children get ready for school.  After reading you can discuss how they are alike/different from the kids in the story.  It will help them notice they are not alone.  All kids are preparing for back to school.  We have used the preschool and now kindergarten ones already.  My daughter loves them!

5.
This blog post
This is something that I need to work on.  Being empathetic to my own children.  I'm not quite sure why I can and have shown empathy to children I meet outside my home, and yet when my child comes unglued my first response is to lose it myself.  I liked this post and felt it would be useful for me to lean on as I try to become more empathetic to my own flesh and blood.  If anyone knows their personalities, it is me.  I need to show them that I know what they are feeling and respect those feelings.

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...