Friday, August 29, 2014

Val's Friday Favorites {08-29-14}

1.
This is truly an obsession of mine.  I cannot walk into a Target without stopping at the OneSpot for at least 15 minutes.  You can find some serious treasures in there!  Some of my favorite things are school supplies, of course.  I use these with my kids for now, however, when I do go back to teaching, I will take these things with me.  You can follow the link above to see some of the things Erin has found in the OneSpot.  While you're at it, you might as well just follow her blog

These are a few of the things that I have loved from the OneSpot.
{Clockwise from Top Left} Teacher's Plan Book, Supply Caddy(great for portable homework station, just throw in some glue sticks, crayons, scissors, and a pencil), Workbooks for practicing skills(these even come with stickers! instant reward), Foam Shape Manipulatives, Alphabet matching puzzles, Number matching puzzles, and flashcards.
{Clockwise from Top Left} Jumbo Shovel, Baseball with Bat(this one was $3), Play Packs(I LOVE these things!  Great for taking on the go!), Frozen Tattoos, Elsa puzzle, Water football, 3-d Dino puzzle, and a Spiderman Glowstick.

See you can find lots of things for your treasure box/reward system for home or school, as well!

2.
This site give you 'everything you need to turn ordinary photos and video clips into rich videos.'  Truly.  I did get that right off the site, however, I have used this for about a year and it is AMAZING!!  All you have to do is pick a video theme.  There are quite a few to choose from.  Next, you slot in your photos and 10 sec video clips in the order you would like them to appear.  Finally, you publish and you can share your video anywhere you would like.  Grandparents love watching these.  As do kids.  

Aside from personal videos (a.k.a. birth, wedding, birthday, vacations), you could use this with teaching.  Imagine putting together your regular slideshow into something fun and imaginative.  This site provides music, however, you can upload your own music from your computer.

3.
Yesterday as I was walking my daughter to her classroom, it hit me, that smell.  Mmmmmm.  Lamination.  Yes, I still love lamination.  Once you have had a laminator at your beck and call while teaching, you become slightly intoxicated with the smell.  So you can imagine that when I saw this laminator on sale, close to Christmas two years ago, I gobbled that right up and have been laminating everything I can possibly think to.  File folder games, flashcards, FHE lessons, and on and on.  Oh, the possibilities are endless.  If you wait until closer to Christmas, if you can :), it goes on sale for about 20 to 25 dollars.  Not bad.  The pouches will also go on sale around that time as well.

4.
I have been using this book with my oldest and have been loving it!  I think that, not only is it an effective teaching method, it is very easy for anyone to teach their child to read.  No formal training necessary.  It is a scripted lesson model where you read and instruct your child directly from the book.  No winging it with this.  My daughter is super excited to be reading!

5.
Seriously cute outfits for teachers and used to be or wanna be teachers.  :)  All at reasonable prices as well.  Just follow allij28 on Polyvore.  She puts together some nice outfits and has many collections for Teacher Outfits on a Teacher's Budget.  So many fun and cute and appropriate outfits to choose from.


Bonus


Love her or hate her, you have to admire the way she dances to the beat of her own drummer.  She is not afraid to be who she is.  Self confidence, check.  Plus, I love this sick beat. :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...